Saturday, February 18, 2012

Writing a Winning Cover Letter

Since there are two schools of thought when it comes to cover letters, we'll cover them both, beginning with the first. Many seasoned oDesk providers believe that the cover letter should be very thorough and extensive, and that the "beefier" the better and this works for some providers and with some buyers. In this type of cover letter, be specific about what skills you bring to the project that they have posted; include any relevant experience that you have had with similar projects, and give the buyer a close estimate regarding the amount of time that you can provide them with quality deliverables. Cover letters like this are more appealing than a generic cover letter that doesn't show the buyer that you have read the job description. Short cover letters that aren't project specific can be thought of as "spam". Here is a sample of a winning cover letter:

Dear Sir or Madam,
I am very interested in creating landing pages for your website. I have created similar pages for such websites as Amazon.Com and TextBooksRUs.Com in the past. I am confident that I can provide you with landing pages that are not only SEO-optimized but also engaging to your website visitors. In addition, I have placed in the top ten percentile on the creative writing exam on oDesk; please see my profile for details. I have attached a sample from my portfolio for you to review (additional samples provided upon request).I can complete the pages that you have requested within seven days of being awarded the project. If you would like to discuss your project in greater detail, please add me to your Yahoo Messenger or request an interview with me at your convenience.

Best Regards,
MKMUNNA

Other top-earning providers on oDesk realize that many buyers are very busy, handling multiple projects at once. They don't have the time to read through each applicant's cover letter, so these providers keep the cover letter short and sweet, very to-the-point, as below:
Hello there, I am interested in working on this project. I have quite a bit of experience when it comes to creating landing pages (see attached sample). Please contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss your needs further.

Regards,
MKMUNNA

No comments:

Post a Comment